Main Menu

News:

We've got a new forum. The old one will remain available as archive.

I did a thing

Started by Doc_Brown, Jan 01, 2024, 07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc_Brown

You're under no obligation to watch, of course, but I just felt like I should mention it.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Starfox

Nice ;D The beginning of a Youtuber career? Weird that I never got to play this mod, at least I don't remember having played it. At the same time there was so many HL mods and so few hours...

And as we have a proper YT tag, I put it for you. You're welcome :)

Guess what it means!

Doc_Brown

Quote from: Starfox on Jan 02, 2024, 12:46 PMNice ;D The beginning of a Youtuber career?

Thanks, but I doubt it.  I'm getting by with what hardware and software I've got, but I can't imagine making the investment I'd need to do it proper without having a clear plan for what to do beyond this.  Not saying I'd be opposed to the occasional random video as the mood strikes me, but I don't envision keeping a regular schedule.

Episode 2 has now dropped:

Doc_Brown

Part 3 has dropped.  When I'm done I'll put them in a playlist, at the very least.  I plan on making subtitles, since the mike volume is on the quieter side, and may or may not bother to put in chapters, but we'll see.

Doc_Brown

Part 4.  Looks like I'm a little over halfway done with my playthrough.  Prioritizing getting this done over playing other games, but my once-a-week schedule for it is dragging it out longer than I'd like.

Doc_Brown

Part 5: the one where I die a lot.

Silver Sorrow

I remember this one! I even reviewed it for the Hangar. Don't read that unless you really want to experience my tiresome "wit"; it provides no relevant information whatsoever. In fact, it makes me feel vaguely ill...or that may be the Walmart deli sausage-egg-cheese biscuit doing that.

...urp...

What I mean to say is: I'll be watching these when I can, because I can.
It seems because through time and space
Though names may change each face retains the mask it wore

Doc_Brown

And the finale!  If you are going to watch them Silver, maybe hold off a little bit longer.  I want to go through them and put in subtitles, since the game audio can drown out my mike audio at times.  When I do I'll put them all together into a playlist and post an update here.

Edit: Huh, for some reason the imbedding isn't working?  This link will suffice otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKro8abGxsM

Doc_Brown

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1gQ7MaTsF3EhJ5o0rNJMsexB9rwh2iph

I'm working on the subtitles, but it's slow going.  The first video alone is three and a half pages of solid text, and it took considerably longer than the runtime to get it all down.  And that's before actually adding the subtitles to the video, which I've yet to do (haven't decided if I should go one video at a time or transcribe all six then add in all six).

Doc_Brown

Y'know, I'll be perfectly honest: I don't think I'm going to do the subtitles after all.  I started doing the math, and while making a, say, 45 minute video and uploading it to Youtube isn't that much of a hassle (45 minutes to record, 30 minutes to process the final product, 30 minutes to upload, 15 minutes for odds and ends = 2 hours total), adding in subtitles is an outright ordeal.

It seems to take about an hour to transcribe roughly 15 minutes of commentary (you listen, type, go back to catch what you missed/make sure you got it right originally).  That means a 45 minute video will take 3 hours.  Then you have to add the subtitles to Youtube, tinkering with the timing (when they appear, how long they stay up), so that's going to take more time than the length of the video, figure another hour for that. 

Which means adding subtitles will take something like four hours per video.  With six videos, that's another 24 hours of work.  Two hours to make a video sans subtitles is something I'm willing to do--and remember, half of that is just waiting around for the video to process/upload, so it's really only an hour of active work.  Six hours per video, with five of those being active work?  I've got too much else going on to justify that.